Monday, February 3, 2014

I have received the latest letter from the class, and they wrote to me about what they are learning in school. Right now, most of them are learning about graphs in math. They asked what I am learning, and that is what will be what my next letter is about. 

I chose this as my genius hour project because I always thought it was cool in elementary school when an older student would come and teach us something. Even though I'm not physically visiting their classroom, I hope that writing these letters will keep them interested in their writing (because we all know that letter form and comma placement are just riveting to a group of 8 year olds) and give them something to look forward to each week. 

The planning for this is rather simple - I email my letter to the teacher on Monday, then on Friday she gives the letters the students wrote to a friend of mine who also works at the school. 

In the three letters I've written so far, I've learned how to explain things to younger kids. Sometimes it's hard to put things in terms a second grader would understand, especially when trying to explain why I'm taking Calligraphy or Physics in school. 

My next letter will be up soon, so be sure to check this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment